Friday, February 14, 2014

Australia: My First Trip Out of the Country!

Australia is such a beautiful place to visit. I would love nothing but to go back and explore more of the country.

This year will be the 10th year since I've been to Australia. The reason the trip for me was so special is because I was chosen by a teacher to travel with a organization called People to People Student Ambassador Program. I went with 34 other students in grades 7th and 8th, round the Kentucky and Indiana area. I couldn't believe that at 13 years old I would get this opportunity. The trip lasted a total of 19 days and it was a totally awesome experience. I would love to go back in the future and if possible stay longer.



During my trip to Australia we got to see so many cool things. I saw where the 2000 Summer Olympics took place; we toured the dome, that is now used for Rugby games. We also got to see inside of the Sydney Opera House, where we saw an orchestra playing the score to Lord of the Rings, the lady that was taking us around said it was a very rare opportunity to hear anyone play there. I remember going to a town were we panned for gold, I didn't find very much, just a bunch of rocks. We were able to talk a tour of the Parliament building in the capital of Australia in Canberra. We went to so many places, one place went to a Jail and learn about a famous Australian outlaw named Ned Kelly. I went to the city of Melbourne, which very beautiful. 

It was weird also because Australia was in winter and I went in June. Of course the coldest it got was when we were at this camp on the coast of Southern Australia, it got pretty chilly. Especially at night. The other thing is because Australia is below the Equator the northern part is warmer than the southern part.    

One of my favorite parts about my trip was the host family I got to stay with. They were simply awesome. Each member of our group got to stay with a host family. Some got paired, but with my host family; I was the only one to stay with them. The host families we all stayed with were located in Cairns, Australia, which is in the Northern section of Australia. The part that fascinated me the most was that they were just like us, a normal family. There wasn't any surprising differences between american families and them, the most obvious is their accents. The other experience would have to be holding a kola bear, she was so cute and it was pretty awesome, unfortunately I don't have a picture to show; actually a lot of pictures from my trip I don't have on my computer, I only have a few pictures, most of the Parliament Build (see above) and one of the landscape (see below). I wish I had more picture on my computer to be able to show in my blog. 

There was some much that happen from my trip. The experience itself was some times overwhelming that I couldn't believe that I was able to be here especially because I was only 13 at the time.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment