Thursday, February 20, 2014

Sochi Olympics and Social Media

The Sochi Olympics, I have to say I've been watching on and off. I have been following the different events that interest me, such as the figure skating competitions, snowboarding, alpine skiing and hockey are among the many sports that I follow and see if the USA can medal.

Now the other thing that I have been following is the social media going on during the Olympics. So far I am following the official twitter page of the Olympics which gives up dates of the actual Olympics. Another twitter page that I thought was pretty funny is the one about all the problems have been having called @SochiProblems. This shows funny pictures of the Olympians and also problems that Sochi have been having ever since the opening ceremony. Also its interesting how a look can become a meme, I'm talking about Ashley Wagner's "angry face" which has been photo shopped in so many photos.





Also I noticed that the Olympians have been utilizing instagram a lot and I've seen articles and I agree that you could call Sochi the Visual Olympics. A lot of other people like commentators and journalist have also been using instagram. My two favorite are the live commentators for the figure skating Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. They not only take pictures but also have been posting videos on the app. There actually pretty funny and entertaining.

Overall I've been enjoying following the many Olympians on different social networks. Also I've seen the games be called the Viral Games. Which i definitely agree with that term because social media explored when the games started and have been everyday since.

Article on Sochi Olympics: http://usat.ly/1jNSuAW

Which talks about the London Olympics and also calls these games as the Viral Games.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment